Saturday, January 26, 2008

Protein Balls



Many people have asked me for a specific recipe called "Protein Balls". We pretty much make this a weekly staple in our fridge. With these ingredients it provides us all with Vitamin E, Folic Acid, Calcium, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Iron, Fiber, Omega -3's and a great source of protein. The kids mostly act like these are yummy cookies. Brian will eat a couple of them as a pre or post work-out. Here is a picture of Reece helping make them.

PROTEIN BALLS
1 cup of honey
1 cup of natural peanut butter
1 cup of wheat germ
1 cup of oatmeal (quick or old fashioned)
1 cup of flax seed
1 cup of Instant nonfat dry milk (or flavored protein powder)

Mix all of this together and simply add more honey if it is too dry. Form into balls and refridgerate. Easy, yummy, and healthy. With a recipe like this, you can also add whatever you would like. One idea was to add miniature chocolate chips, but since my kids like the very healthy version, I am sticking with that.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sherri said...

Ooh yummy, gotta try it. Certainly healthier and cheaper than my daily must have Luna Bars, but I'll definitely be adding Ghiradelli chocolate chips!

Sherri said...

After being chided for wanting to add chocolate chips, I decided maybe raisins would be a nice addition. But since we were out of raisins & low on honey, I used unsweetened applesauce & a tad maple syrup in place of some of the honey. Turned out yummy!

Janet said...

Now Sherri....I only "chided" you on a private e-mail (while secretly wanting to come eat your chocolate chip protein balls)...

Thanks for letting me know about the applesauce and maple syrup. That does sound good. It is fun to play with this basic recipe.