Sunday, June 08, 2008

Austin and his trombone

Austin has been diligently working through piano books and music theory with his piano teacher (guess who) and he is now able to start an instrument with the Homelight Christian Homeschool Band. After going to a Homelight concert where he was able to see the orchestra, jazz band and concert choir Austin chose the trombone. It was fun to see his surprise that his Daddy could play the trombone. Brian has learned how to play all band instruments (Brian would say to use the word "play" loosely.) and that was a fun fact that Austin didn't know about his Daddy. So....we'll be hearing various 'new' sounds in our household. This will be much easier to our ears than the fact that Lindsey came home, from the same concert, wanting to play the drums and cymbals. We're having a hard time picturing that - but who knows....

6 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so excited for you Austin, and can't wait to come to YOUR first concert:)!!

The Hilemans said...

Get her the drums and you will know what it's like to be me day in day out - all afternoon I either hear him drumming like mad on his drum set (which I actually like now that he can really play) or strangling some poor aquatic bird with his trombone (why oh why would his uncle think giving him a real trombone for his 5th birthday was a good idea???) :)

The Hilemans said...

hey - in answer to your comment on my blog, the products I like to use are:
- Myers Clean Day counter top spray
- Clorox greenworks natural all purpose cleaner and natural toilet bowl cleaner (the tb cleaner smells like mint, which is weird, but it works well)
- Myers Clean Day window cleaner (it works well, though the spray bottle is weak)
- Seventh Generation dishwashing liquid (for doing dishes in the sink - I really like this stuff)
- Seventh Generation laundry detergent (it works with He front-loaders and it works very well)
- I haven't found a dishwasher detergent I like yet. I tried Palmolive eco+ which is phosphate free, but it doesn't work well, especially if there is something like cereal dried in a bowl - I never had to prerinse dishes with Cascade complete)
- I've used Method brand hand soap, but I don't like the dispenser. I like Clean Well hand soap - It has a strong perfume but it leaves hands very soft.

And of course vinegar and water solutions are good counter cleaners and you can use salt as an abrasive to clean with.

anthonyandbeth said...

how exciting for Austin! you'll have a family band before you know it! :)

Stephens Family News said...

Hmm...makes me wonder what it was like for my parents with the 3 of us kids playing instruments around the house! Piano, violin, trumpet, clarinet, flute. Makes me appreciate them even more! :o)

Allison said...

What a full circle moment for Brian!! Neat!!! =)