Sunday, September 06, 2009

God's Provision and Protection..

Today, after church and a family visit to the Y, we came home and I rushed just down the street to our local CVS. Despite my disheveled look from my workout, I really wanted to get something that was on sale for $6 off. Love Labor Day Weekend sales.

I left CVS so excited over my 'deal' when a man, sitting in his car, spoke up to me and asked if I knew anyone that needed any work done. How he would work for food as he hadn't eaten all day. (It was 5p.m. by then.). He was living in his car and having a hard, at the end of his rope, kind of a weekend. I asked him if he had reached out to any local churches. He mentioned a church, that my children go to for Hand Bell Choir, and told me the location and their 3 month work recruitment along with their food/supply pantry. I am actually friends with the lady in charge of this ministry so I knew his information was true.

He kept mentioning working for food or money and I offered to get him something to eat inside of CVS. I asked him what he would like and he just asked for a candy bar to get some sugar in him and to make it til the church offices were open on Tuesday. So...I went back into CVS and quickly scanned the isles to find something to get him to Tuesday. I ended up with a loaf of bread, jar of peanut butter, silverware and some juice. After ringing this purchase up, the cashier pulls out a basket of -what else - candy bars and says that they are handing these out for free. The man SO gratefully takes the food and I told him to please take care of himself, get to the church for their work program on Tuesday and that I'd be praying for him. I calmly left him and started to drive home. Driving home it just all hit me all this man was going through and I just cried all the way home. Poor Brian said, "My goodness, you just went to the store, what on earth happened??"

A couple of things I've concluded. God's protection. I fully realize that one must always be careful as this isn't a very safe world. I guess I could have been on the 11 o'clock news. God clearly gave him the right words to put me at ease that he IS looking for help from a church and shared facts that only he would know if he had been to this church.

God's provision is another thing. As much as I wanted to save those $6 - God had something else in mind. He teaches me over and over that my money IS NOT mine and never was. It is His money to do with as He pleases. Brian and I had a good laugh when I told him that I not only didn't save the $6, but I spent $10 more than planned.

Also....5 min. before my second checkout the cashier had NOT been giving out candy bars when I first went through the line. The guy had asked for a candy bar and the Lord saw fit to make sure he had one. Another way the Lord showed me His hand in this situation.

I often frequent this one blog where a lady uses coupons and she gets many free things on double coupon or triple coupon days. She takes all of those free items to her local homeless shelter and her church's pantry. When I read her posts all I can think is: 'those are eternal coupons'. I was trying, today, to save money for my own selfish means, but God showed me His own plans today were FAR different than what I had planned.

I will never forget this man today and I will pray for him to find work. Today was a reminder that this world is NOT our home and how much more I should be preparing for my eternal home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janet - Thank you for showing what it means to be sensitive to the Spirit and just to do what God calls you to do.

I will pray for him, too.

rabbimeg said...

Janet, I praise the Lord for protecting you and this man. God made you a "ministering spirit" and you fulfilled the task wonderfully. Also, the candy bar episode helps illustrate that we have not because we ask not! And then there's just the fact you being in the way, the Lord led you!
We love you and your heart for the Lord.
dad

Sandy M. said...

I read with tears how God used you for His purposes & could just see the tenderness with which you responded. Then I read it aloud to my 3 friends sitting here with me at the beach (while it rains outside). I could hardly read it without my voice cracking. We all tend to live such "routine" lives that when God reaches down & uses one of us in such an obvious way, it is so refreshing. I'd like to read the blog you were talking about that has info on using coupons & giving the results to someone who needs it more. Thanks for sharing this experience the Lord gave you!

anthonyandbeth said...

Janet...WOW!!! i hardly know what to say. if we could only see more often how God has us in just the right place at the right time yet sometimes we are just too busy to see it. it reminds me of what Priscilla said at the conference...to get more POWER...the POWER that lives IN US...we HAVE to act when the Holy Spirit prompts us! what an example of trusting the leading of the Holy Spirit and His prompting to help that man. and look at what God did!! MORE than you could have imagined and more than you could have imagined in your own heart because you obeyed. thank you SO much for sharing and being tender to the Lord's leading.

Sherri said...

This is awesome! What an example of God's hand at work - and I'm so thankful to know someone who is obedient and sees God's lesson for us through it all. Thanks for sharing.