Saturday, February 21, 2009

Guilty...

I read this quote, from John Piper, several days ago and just cannot get it out of my mind. I love how John Piper can do that to me and I dislike that at the same time. I guess it is simply called 'conviction'. I am so guilty of what he says here:

“The greatest enemy of hunger for God is not poison but apple pie. It is not the banquet of the wicked that dulls our appetite for heaven, but endless nibbling at the table of the world. It is not the X-rated video, but the prime-time dribble of triviality we drink in every night. For all the ill that Satan can do, when God describes what keeps us from the banquet table of his love, it is a piece of land, a yoke of oxen, and a wife (Luke 14:18-20). ….the most deadly appetites are not for the poison of evil, but for the simple pleasures of earth.”

~John Piper in A Hunger for God

1 comment:

rabbimeg said...

Janet,
Tis tough to swallow what other write so eloquently sometimes...Piper has a great way with words...and they usually offer great comment on biblical truth.
Dad