Thursday, February 19, 2009

Right Start Math -Asian Math

I've had quite a few friends recently ask me if we are happy that we changed Math curriculums. I just didn't know, at the beginning of fall, but now I can definitley say "yes!" This is Reece working on his Math. He is supposed to add 1849 + 2735 + 3817 and get the answer, by himself, using picture cards. He has already learned how to trade 10 ones for a ten, 10 tens for a hundred and 10 hundreds for a thousand. I just sat back and watched him work and, doing Math the Asian way, he knows how to figure this problem out.

I also love that we don't have hours of "busy work" drill sheets (we used to do this in our American Math curriculum), flash cards, etc. Now Reece has learned his basic addition facts doing the "addition war game". I guess the best is that he loves Math. So, yes, I am happy with the change for all three kids.


These are the ones, tens, hundreds, and thousand picture cards that he is trading up.

He found the answer out and just loves the whole process. Not too bad for a 5 year old. :)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Sherri said...

Thank you for the referral. We love the curriculum. Math was my favorite subject in school, but I so wish I could have learned this way. I finished with a 4.0 in engineering and economics, and I had never used an abacus before until now. How sad.

Merri said...

Wow! That is amazing!

anthonyandbeth said...

i'm excited about using this! ;)

rabbimeg said...

Reece, you go boy! Good job!