Saturday, June 13, 2009

PURPOSEFUL...


Today, Brian and I spent a good portion of our time outside. During that time a certain butterfly found that its greatest goal/purpose for that day was to latch itself onto Brian's hat, shorts, shirt, etc. Anywhere Brian went, the butterfly followed closely. This is another picture of a butterfly we had seen on Thursday and we can clearly see that this butterfly has a purpose for its time as well.

Clearly I have found a 'fondness' for the word "purpose/purposeful". It is a word that has defined my summer. We've already had such a wonderful summer and I know that the Lord has been good. He truly owes me nothing in that He has already given me His everything so that I might have eternal life. Yet I did ask the Lord, especially this summer, to give me great purpose in each and every day. Sometimes that might simply be spending the afternoon at the pool with the kids. Other times it has been sitting in my blue chair and reading chapter after chapter in the book of Luke as I occasionally glance up at the kids riding their bikes in the cul de sac. I've sincerely tried to wake up each and every day asking the Lord to direct my steps for that day. Here's what I've learned so far.....

Prayer: I now have dear, dear friends who are currently facing cancer, loss of a job or husband's job, fertility issues, a friend who SO desires to get on the mission field and sees some obstacles, and the list goes on and on. My one 'prayer purpose' is to ask the Lord to bring people to my heart and mind and then to not just think of them - but to really pray for them. It should be one of our greatest joys this side of heaven to pray for our family and friends. Please know...if you've recently asked me to pray for you or a loved one. God has answered my own prayer and you all have been on my heart and in my prayers daily.

Scripture: My quiet time changes in the summer as some mornings we are gone and some afternoons are gone, yet - praise God - my longing for time in His Word is even stronger when the days of summer are here. Some days I don't feel I give that much effort at all and other days are rich with time to soak in scripture. I ask the Lord to impress verses on my heart and He has been faithful to do so.

Husband: The regular school year can be quite hectic and so we find the need for 'summer projects'. These summer projects include paint, wood, sweat and more sweat. Even though I know Brian would leave all that for himself to do and encourage me that all I do in the home is enough, yet I've desired to be more of a help to those "outside projects." Well....I guess we will see if I've been a help when he sees my latest paint job. I'm also thankful for a full 10 years of "couch time" and showing the kids that Mommy gets Daddy first each evening. So important..

Friendships: I do not like a "full schedule" yet recently found out that summer was full. We have dear friends who, once again, have asked to keep our kids for a couple of days. As Brian and I were trying to find out when that could be, we realized that the first opportunity was the middle of August. That's just crazy to me, but it is a reality fortunately filled with trips and fun times. My prayer is always that the Lord would open up days to spend with dear friends and - as always - He's proved faithful.

So thankful that I can ask the Lord to direct my steps each and every day for He is my Lord and Savior. Praying I remember to live purposely -not only in the summer - but every day as I walk this side of Heaven.

Proverbs 16:9 In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Jeremiah 10:23 I know, O Lord, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

anthonyandbeth said...

Janet, this post was such an encouragement to me. Another friend of mine that I've met through a blog has been focusing on the word "intentional" and this reminded me so much of that. Purposeful and intentional about our days and our children and serving our husbands...what a great challenge. thank you so much for sharing your heart and sharing what the Lord is teaching you. thank you so much for the prayers you've lifted up for my family. it means so much to me.

Sherri said...

I needed this post. Thanks. I've been re-evaluating how I approach each day myself.