Saturday, June 19, 2010

In Awe of Beauty..

Last month the kids and I went on a field trip to Duke Gardens. I am quite surprised at how taken I am with this place. It is just so amazing to me to drive a few minutes, on busy highways, and end up in such a beautiful oasis. It's a unique place to visit and wander around, and even better to have a tour guide. Our tour guide took us to places I had not yet seen - and here I thought I had pretty much covered all of the gardens.

I just know I didn't fully appreciate the beauty of God's creation when I was a kid and I can see how my enthusiasm amuses my children. Picture this group walking on ahead and Austin, Lindsey and Reece turning back looking for their mother - only to find my nose, and camera, stuck in some bush because I am just smitten with these glorious flowers.

Well...I have found myself revisiting these pictures (now I AM thankful my nose was stuck in so many bushes) and just marveling at God's creation. Just a reminder to literally "stop and smell the roses" as I journey on this side of eternity.

Oh Lord God Almighty, who is like you? You are mighty, O Lord, and your faithfulness surrounds you. You rule over the surging sea; when its waves mount up, you still them.
The heavens are yours, and yours also the earth; you founded the world and all that is in it.
Psalm 89: 8-9, 11







1 comment:

Sherri said...

Gorgeous! I need to go there...for a spiritual retreat of silence. Don't think I've done that since college. Glad you were able to enjoy it fully.