Tuesday, October 19, 2010

We interupt this regularly scheduled day....


to bring you a turtle on your drive way! Yep....that's what happened today and it kept these kids busy all afternoon! I was very content to grab the camera, run outside with them, and see this creature walk around for 5 minutes. Then the thrill was over for me. Oh wait..I did do a little silly dance when that turtle came walking my way, but that was enough of the creature for me.

I must admit that this gave me new appreciation for my Grandma who endured having children who loved any animal. Her sons - my uncles - were always bringing home snap turtles, snakes, rats, etc. I guess everything under the sun. One day Uncle Dale brought home a snap turtle, and took off right away to go play. Grandma went in the basement to do laundry and heard this snapping sound. She had no idea what was in her house so she put her feet up and waited until family came home. How she handled all of that - I really don't know.

Uncle Dale grew up and actually owned a cougar as a pet. When the cougar was young and I was a kid you would find me being chased, around a family gathering, by a cougar. Pepper ( the cougar) did grow up and it came to a point where only Uncle Dale could get in her cage. The police had permission to shoot, on site, if Pepper ever got loose but Uncle Dale made quite the sturdy cage for his beloved Pepper.
Late this afternoon I had to talk with Lindsey about letting Mr. Turtle go back into his natural environment. It was hard for her, but she did it right before we left for Tae Kwon Doe. My kids would have LOVED my easy going Grandma!! :)


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Amy said...

We have frogs, lizards, snakes, but no turtles at our house. My children would love to watch a turtle make his way around the yard! Your cougar story reminds me of how Ellie keeps saying that she wishes we could have a baby meerkat as a pet.

Carpool Queen said...

That would SO have been my house. We have built terrariums for snails, crickets, and toads.

I draw the line at snakes.