Monday, August 25, 2008

The flute in the back of the closet


After supper activities I settled into reading books with Reece and Lins while Brian worked on theory with Austin. I had thought my evening would be a peaceful time until I heard Austin say: "I didn't know Mom played the flute". Well....the rest of our evening is history. I had to get my flute out of the back of the closet and play it for them. Then Brian and I played Day by Day as a duet. With one flat I thought it'd be ok until the song switched to 4 sharps. Oh my! Of course the kids thought you had to blow into the hole instead of over it. Too funny! The kids were banging sticks and triangles to our Day By Day duet so Brian moved into discussing vibrations. After that we ended with The Story of the Orchestra and discussing the Baroque period, Vivaldi and the four seasons (Springtime). It makes me laugh to say that this shows what our evenings look like a few times a week. I laugh, but it is something I'll always treasure. Family nights at home.....


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Stephens Family News said...

That's awesome...so cute! :o)

I can definitely appreciate this post, as I have a flute in the back of one of our closets as well! Played it from 5th - 12th grade.

At some point during graduate school (I think) I got a new flute, but I only play it for myself in the privacy of my own home. Since I don't play it very often these days, it takes longer than it should to get a decent embouchure going. :o)

Heather said...

that's so great! i love the family nights and even better...a musical one! by the way-love Lindsey's nightgown:)

anthonyandbeth said...

love it! sounds like a fun family night to me! :)

Sherri said...

Your family is just precious. When I read your curriculum & schedule for the school year, I broke out in cold sweats just thinking about you and all you have to do - but this post just reminds me of the more appropriate perspective to have - priceless family time you can't get back later on in life.

I have a flute too & our home stager told me to set it out with the other instruments in our "music room" (every room needs one and only one unique purpose, she says). The flute needs lots of buffing but at least she didn't ask me to play it!