Monday, January 12, 2009

Bible time for Austin

Granddad and Grandmom bought Austin, Lindsey and Reece each a Bible this year for Christmas. I don't even know if Austin has heard people talk about New Year's Resolutions, but he has kind of made one for himself. A few days ago he said he wanted to read through the whole Bible this year. So...to encourage this I've moved my morning quiet time to the afternoon to join him. It's been really great for both of us because we set a timer for 30 min. and sit across from each other reading our Bibles.

Austin has encouraged me with Bible reading because the early morning time I had set aside always had my mind filled with the "to do list" for the day. Now Austin and I sit down around 2:30p.m. each day and a huge chunk of my "to do's" are done and my mind is sure less busy. Even though it is great for kids to see us doing our own quiet time, I still have a 5 year old that has to ask over and over: "Are you praying Mommy?" It really bugs Reece that I am not saying any words out loud and my eyes are closed.

Another thing is you just don't realize how much your kids watch you because today Austin said he wanted to read his Bible like I do. I didn't quite understand until he said he wanted to hold his pen and underline verses. We had a great discussion over why and what verses and it's been a wonderful blessing to already see new things Austin is learning (especially those who lived to over 900 years old - he read today) and how we pray that many seeds are being planted in his heart and mind.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

anthonyandbeth said...

this is awesome! so proud of Austin! he is going to grow up to be an awesome man of God!!! i just know it!

Stephens Family News said...

What a wonderful time for you both! I'm sure that God is using this time in your lives for a special purpose.

Sherri said...

Precious! I know you'll treasure those times in the Word with your kids for a lifetime.

rabbimeg said...

Austin, it's hard to put into words how grateful I am that the Lord has placed upon your heart the desire to read his Word! There are two passages that come to mind as I think of you undertaking this challenge: Psalm 119:11 and II Timothy 3:14, 15 (With this latter passage you need to read II Timothy 1:5 to appreciate what about whom Paul is speaking.) I have been reading continually through the Bible over and over since I was about 30 and find something new each time I read it! You should thank the Lord for the example of a godly mom whose life you are copying!

Tucker Family said...

what an awesome new years resolution...and how sweet that y'all can share learning about God together. :)