Friday, August 21, 2009

Be careful what you wish for.....

It seems that every time I go to Chick Fil A, when the cow is there, I am telling Brian how much fun that would be to dress up and be goofy for a job. Well.....never in my wildest thoughts did I think I would get such an opportunity. We've become friends with the marketing director of two Chick Fil A's in Raleigh and Brian noticed - on Facebook - that she needed someone to wear the cow costume for one of their promotional s. So....Brian told her his wife would seriously like to do this. Yesterday Katherine, the marketing director, calls and offers me the "cow job" from 11-2p.m. today.
I did learn a few things from this job. Not surprisingly it is a "hot" job (literally). I thought I looked a sweaty mess after the Y, but nothing compared to wearing the cow costume. I truly looked like someone had dumped several buckets of water on my head. Thank goodness this costume is washable!

It is truly not easy to see out of the nose and mouth so you feel like you are completely enclosed in your own world while trying hard to interact with the customers.

Even though Brian thought it might be hard for me.....it was sort of nice to not have to talk and make the 'small talk' that would be needed if cows actually talked. Also, it was funny to see how adults reacted to "the cow". Some talked with you, thanked you for making their child's day. Others felt clearly funny even waving back at me. As I have learned --- PLEASE don't be shy of the cow. There really is a person in there.

It really can be fun to stand on the sidewalk of a busy road and dance around being so very silly and have no one recognize you. It is funny to see all sorts of generations of people smiling, honking, and waving at "the cow".

Last but not least were these precious faces of kids that were SO HAPPY to receive a hug, high five or even dance with "the cow". The picture below shows me literally cornered by some children. That was so much fun!

I'm sure I would do this again if asked, but I'm thinking of changing my retirement plans. When my sister and I were at Universal Studios and watched the kids excitement over a person dressed up as Barney the purple dinosaur, we said we could retire doing such a job at Disney World. Unless they have air conditioned costumes....I might have to change those plans! :)
I guess my husband put on his facebook a picture of Lindsey and "the cow" saying it was his wife. Boy....did he get roasted for that comment. Well.....he WAS telling the truth. It really was me. So....Brian was not trying to be mean - just stating a fact. :) He wanted me to save his reputation so I needed to quickly get this "cow post" up. :)
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Amy said...

How fun!!! That's awesome! I was a character for a department store promotion when I was in high school. I agree that it's funny to see how the interaction varies from person to person. I'm sure you were a fantastic cow!!!

emily said...

And you look so cute, too.

Carpool Queen said...

How fun is THAT!!!!! I think I would have loved the waving on the sidewalk thing. And you look fabulous in black and white, sister.

Amy Williams said...

WOW! Too cool to get to dress up! I saw Brian's FB status and was wondering what he really meant but never thought that you were dressed up as the cow. Let us know if you will be having another appearance!

anthonyandbeth said...

that is GREAT!!! wish we could have come and seen you! :) hilarious about Brian's FB status! glad you redeemed him! :)

i bet it WAS hot. can you imagine being in one of those costumes on a hot summer day in an amusement park!!! oh my word! that would REALLY be hot. sounds like a recipe for a heat stroke for some poor retired person. i'm glad you've changed your plans. :)

Sherri said...

You are awesome to do that! My brother worked for 2 yrs in high school at Chick Fil A and that was his LEASE favorite job. Of course, at that age, I guess it isn't considered very cool. Sounds like you did a great job loving on kids and making the most of the chance to dance and act silly. Not that you wouldn't do the chicken dance at a rodeo without the cow costume or anything. :-) Brian's FB update is hilarious. Now I have to go read all the comments.

Stephens Family News said...

Love, Love, LOVE IT!!! :o) You are udderly awesome!!! :o) I think Johnie Groh calls this cow costume the "kid cow". It's the one that Noelle liked best on Cow Appreciation Day!

Gretchen said...

Wow! You rock!
And to think I chatted with a cow this a.m. and didn't even know it. I should have asked for an autograph