Saturday, August 15, 2009

First Week of School...

I'm always a little nervous until we actually begin our school year. We get in our routine and a peace comes over me as I see so many blessings in our days at home. This year was no exception. I was nervous because it was the first year to have all three kids in a grade level. Yikes! What a huge relief to see how much we can accomplish even before lunch. I LOVE being at home so this trumps the "out and about" of summer for me. It's been a wonderful week! The pictures below are their first art drawings on the first day of school. I think it is pretty obvious who drew what but I'll still write that above the pictures. I'm still helping 2 ladies with homeschool decisions, one lady I have never met and the other lady I've met once, so I'm still digging out my research for their little ones.

Monday night was my last summer Bible Study on the book of James. I can't tell you what a blessing that was to spend every Monday night with a group of wonderful ladies and just seek out so much of what God wanted to teach me this summer. This past Monday night alone spoke so much to me. We talked about busyness, saving and hoarding up things for this world and not looking for worthwhile treasures in God's eternal kingdom, and how prayer is an unnatural activity for our proud human nature. Whew! That's just one night!

So many thoughts and convictions from this Bible study. Here's one quote from this week: "Today's money will be worthless when Christ returns, so we should spend our time accumulating the kind of treasures that will be worthwhile in God's eternal kingdom." It was just convicting to me of how I spend my time and my money. Am I in God's word and in prayer? Am I furthering his kingdom with my resources and not hoarding what is not even mine to claim? So much to still digest.
We ended our week in such a sweet way too. Lindsey got to spend the night at Cailey's house. She came home telling me about their dog and lots of candy and junk food. Sounds like a party to me. Also at the end of the week, Austin's friend - Lewis - got to spend the day with us. On Friday the kids all got to spend Friday night and most of Saturday with the Harts. This family just spoils our kids and they eat it up! Brian and I enjoyed a "date weekend" and yet were excited to pick up our kids and hear all about their fun! All in all a great week was sure had!
For those who asked and the two ladies that I'm still working with, at the end of this post I'll put up a condensed list of our curriculum this year. It would feel endless to post all the biographies of great men and women in history, all the artists, composers, etc. to list. I will say I get my lists from THE WELL TRAINED MIND, by Susan Wise Bauer.
Reece's picture..
Lindsey's picture..
Austin's picture..
Reece's 1st grade list: Math: Right Start
English: First Language Lessons
Spelling: All About Spelling
Handwriting: Zaner Bloser
History: Story of the World
Science: Animal kingdom, human anatomy and plant life.
Art: Draw Write Now (2 days), Artistic Pursuits (2 days)
Religion: Abeka Salvation flashcards and Proverbs study, Bible stories midday.
Music: classical listening, Music Ace (many books to list that Brian does with them.)
Reading: Phonics Pathways and Abeka readers
Writing With Ease
Copy work

Lindsey's 3rd Grade Year: (Math, Spelling, Handwriting, History, Science, Art, Religion, Music, Copy work,) are all the same curriculum
as Reece except at her grade level.
English: Rod and Staff 3rd grade
Abeka readers
Writing: Just Write
Latin: Prima Latina
Dictation- 3 times a week from classic novels
Piano, music theory, orchestra and composer studies

Austin's 5th grade year: (Math, Spelling, Handwriting, Art, Religion, Music, copy work, Latin, Dictation, music ed, English and Writing
are the same curriculum as Lindsey - just at his grade level.)
History - Ancients
Science - Biology (History and Science follow the Well Trained mind for the Logic Stage of learning.)
Extra English: Story Elements, Note Taking and Outlining, Teaching Students to Read Non-Fiction.
Logic (3 hours a week) Building Thinking Skills

All of their reading this year is following history with ancient Myths and Legends; epics also. We'll ease into August and then discuss their extra classes that they take at co-op and New Life Camp along with their sports. Whew.....nice to ease into the year before all of that starts soon.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Heather said...

hey! we LOVED having lindsey here on friday night...meant to send you an email but have been so busy. OH...and i wanted you to know that there was only cake and ice cream- no candy this time:)

Janet said...

ice cream = candy

Your house is better than Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory to my kids! :)

Carpool Queen said...

Thank you for posting about the last night of our Bible Study. I hate that I missed it, and it was good to get a little recap.

Blessings on your school year.

Sandy M. said...

Your post about the Bible study was such an encouragement to me & a great reminder of God's faithfulness in teaching us through His Word. Thanks!