Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Four Years Ago.....

Lately I've been having dreams about some Ohio friends. This tends to happen to me this time of year, so I thought if I blogged about it maybe the crazy dreams would stop. :) We'll see...

It was four years ago this time of year that we made the decision to move down to Raleigh. It actually started at midnight one August night when I was asking Brian if he was happy in his work and if he wanted to pursue more education or not. He said that he was happy at our Ohio church and he didn't want to purposely go out, on his own, and pursue anything else because he told me that God always put us where He wanted us. So, with that 'reevaluation conversation' done we went to bed and started a usual day of Brian off to work and me at home with the kids.
By mid-morning I get a call from Brian. He says: "You'll never guess what happened." Me at home, with three little kids, was not exactly in the mood for guessing games. Brian says: "Eric Hamsho called and wants to know if I would consider a job down in Raleigh, N.C."
I said, "That's really not funny Brian. I really don't have time for jokes right now." (You know -- the three little kids thing. Diapers, laundry, dishes, etc.)
Brian: "I'm not kidding. I'm in my car in the church parking lot right now because I can't have this phone conversation inside. Eric must think I'm crazy cause I couldn't talk to him and had to say that I'd get back to him on that music chart."
The story goes on about us visiting them in October and Brian going back in November with no one knowing what was going on. One time he got off the plane in Akron, from Raleigh, and went right to work at 8a.m. from the airport.

It was truly the hardest decision of our lives. Some of our talks went like this: (me) "I can't talk about this right now. I can't even breathe."

On a trip to Iowa, for Thanksgiving, we decided that the Lord was clearly leading this decision to move and that is when Brian accepted the job. We told three close couples of our decision. First time I ever had an exploding headache and felt like I would throw up all at the same time. (Yes....lovely memories.) Then in the middle of one of the Christmas concerts he met with the worship and rythmn players to tell them of this decision.

We decided to take advantage of every single moment until we left mid-January to spend with friends as much as we could. The last two weeks came down to eating breakfast, lunch and dinner with people and packing in between. It worked out because I wasn't sleeping so I would pack from 3-5 each morning and then sleep til the kids got up. All these get togethers kind of felt like you were alive at your own funeral. Everyone says things they never say on a regular basis. It was fun and intense all at the same time. The pictures, below, are of three Christmas/farewell parties all in one week. My prayer, on the way to these, were always: "Lord just help me keep it together." Brian's last time playing at The Chapel was Sunday Christmas morning.
The last night in Ohio I was still out at midnight with a friend, so I had Brian drive the van down to Raleigh with me following in the car. After a diet Mountain Dew and a no doze I was flying pretty high by 10a.m. while the kids were safe with Brian. And here we are four years later.
This first picture is our annual worship team and rythmn section Christmas party. It's a reminder every year of all the pretty Christmas decorations, I put out, so many are from this group. (They gave Brian other gifts. It was just so sweet of them to think of me too.)
This picture is the music staff's Christmas/farewell party.
Our Ohio church went to two locations and these are ladies that Brian worked with that stayed at the other church building. These ladies spent the evening grilling us about this decision and, by the end of the evening, said they clearly saw God's leading and understood
that this was from the Lord. Brian always called these ladies - "My girls".

Here's my "Ohio twin" and I out ice skating in downtown Akron during the last two weeks we were there.
Ok......no more crazy Ohio dreams!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

So glad to know your story! It's always hard to leave friends behind, but the real ones stick with you.

anthonyandbeth said...

i loved reading this. moving is never easy! selfishly glad that you did move though, so you could become my sweet friend! :)

Sandy said...

We too went through a similar circumstance several years ago. But we are SO glad you came to Raleigh!

Sherri said...

Sometimes I dream about my friends from Greenville, SC where I spent most of my career. You have friends spread all over the country, but these friends do seem extra dear. Hope you get to visit sometime soon. Oh, and I need to show Jeff these photos as proof that people do wear Christmas sweaters outside of my family! :-)

Stephens Family News said...

Thank you for sharing this, Janet. So glad you're here with us, and thankful that the Lord paved the way for your move here to Raleigh! Thanks for your servant's heart and willingness to follow His leading!

emily said...

A few comments:
1. My eyes are closed in that second picture.
2. Trent is really young.
3. I miss you guys and have to disagree with anthonyandbeth, Sandy and Stephens Family News. I mean, besides God's will and all.
4. I've been dreaming about Akron a lot lately, too.