Friday, December 17, 2010

The changing of our "table themes" and other tid bits from this week..

It's been another special week in our household and this week has sure left me changing my table for some fun occasions. The first table was decorated for a "sugar cookie party" with the Williams. I'd been looking forward to this time for quite awhile.



I told Beth that I wanted the kids to feel free to "go crazy" with their cookie decorating. Below is a picture of Addie Grace's cookie. How fun is that?!? Do you see the cookie in all the sprinkles?
As I look at these pictures I am realizing that it was a very "sweet week" literally. I didn't take pictures Monday night, but we had met up with the Lords for some dinner out and dessert. And we also had some snow this week. In our house snow means we make hot cocoa. It's probably good it really doesn't snow much here. :) Here are the kids with their hot cocoa.
The next "table theme" was a candle light dinner with our friends John and Judy. It was a wonderful time of catching up and hearing hilarious stories of some past Christmas gifts, they've received, from certain relatives. You all know that we ALL have stories like that, because we all have "those relatives". We truly laughed the night away.
After washing the above table cloth a few times I decided to give my washing machine a rest and pull out another table cloth for the next evening. All week I'd been planning a boys pizza and games party for Austin's friends. I did not tell any of them that it was a surprise, but we kept it quiet all week and really shocked him. The "table theme" below is an "all boy party" theme. We're talking chips, pizza, cookies, etc.
Austin's first guest arriving and seeing 5 other vehicles coming down the cul de sac. His expression was priceless.


This summer I learned a big lesson. In our busy lives I hesitate to join "yet another thing". Well, the Lord had a very kind friend not really give me a choice about joining a group. She just told me I was going to join. How thankful I am for that friend. Because of her I can say that each one of these boy's moms are my friends (who I actually meet monthly with) and what a huge blessing that has been in my life -- not to mention the joy it is to see Austin with such a wonderful group of friends. God knew what I needed before I knew it. Well....of course He did and what Austin needed as well.
As I've said before December can often be a time where we just try to 'survive' it for various reasons. Making a conscious decision to actually "thrive" has been so wonderful for us. It can mean a simple board game, afternoon sipping hot cocoa, meeting up with friends at Chick Fil A and having a "double date" (with Neal and Heather) while all of our kids were in the Play Land, sugar cookie parties with the sweetest of friends, dinner and laughter over candle light or the laughter of boys with their video games and take out pizza. I've never been more thankful for the month of December.

3 comments:

Sherri said...

A few of the many random things I love about this post:

- I like the way you tied it all together around the table themes
- Your daughter's new haircut is just precious!
- Those plates and mugs are so pretty and fun.
- Glad you are enjoying December so much!

anthonyandbeth said...

i love this post! :) i'm glad we were able to be part of one of the table's! i think ours was the best b/c it was all sugar. and Addie Grace was very serious about sprinkling the SAME cookie over and over! :) love that Austin was surprised. i think that makes you a VERY cool mom!!! glad we could have Reece for a bit too!

rabbimeg said...

I didn't realize that Christmas goodies could be documented in so many different ways! No hypoglycemic problems here, it looks like...