Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Silent Night.......NOT..


Tonight I had the priviledge of having a beautiful Christmas dinner with some very dear homeschool friends of mine. The ladies, who set it up, had candles lit everywhere. It was truly a treat to dress up in our holiday "glam" and just laugh and talk the evening away.

As I said, it could not have been more beautiful. We laughed until our sides hurt. After our dinner each and every one of us said a prayer of thanksgiving. It was quite touching. I looked around and marveled at these sweet ladies -- or so I THOUGHT. Next came our gift exchange with some interesting rules. I've done the white elephant thing many a Christmas so I must admit I was THRILLED that these gifts were actually something you would WANT to keep.
You were allowed to steal, but they didn't "freeze" gifts like I was used to. And the last 5 minutes were unlike any I had experienced. We went back through everyone's number and you could again take gifts. Well....I never...even quiet, humble women can go a little crazy when they want a certain gift.

Oh...alright..I'll confess what I did (after all Life Class was about repentance this past Sunday and as usual - VERY convicting). I had stolen a candle/pebble fountain gift and was so happy that no one was trying to steal it. Twenty-seven seconds left and I whispered to my friend that I had wanted one of these for 15 years. Ten seconds left and my friend, at my other side, took my fountain. I actually stood up and slapped her arm. Pretty shocked that I would do that to her....she actually gave it back to me since clearly I had lost all sensability. During the outburst of laughter I tried to explain to the entire table how much I had always wanted a little candle fountain. The very words, coming out of my mouth, made me even cringe with how silly I sounded.

Oh my....while I watched through-out the whole grab bag game at women going "crazy" over various gifts I have learned that I am FAR from above reacting in such a way. But that's ok because I came home with my fountain and I am SO happy! :)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sandy M. said...

I'm hoping that you can come tomorrow night (though I know Brian can't), but I'll know NOT to try to take YOUR gift!