Friday, December 03, 2010

How sweet it is!

Today we had the fun of making gingerbread houses with Gretchen and her children. Immediately when we arrived at their house, the kids took off and it appeared that Gretchen and I might be on our own. Fortunately we decided the actual building of the houses should be done by us and the kids could decorate them.

Their oldest decided to help us and advise us (me) on how to keep the house from crashing down. Such a help was she!!
Gretchen and I could not have been more different in how we approached our houses. My style of frosting the house could only be summarized as the "slap on" method. Whereas Gretchen makes everything a master piece. Take note below:

SLAP ON METHOD
MASTER PIECE TECHNIQUE
OUR HOUSE
THEIR HOUSE
How funny is that? After seeing the difference I couldn't help but quiz Gretchen on her up bringing. I do know her parents as they are my Life Class teachers, but I still just had to know how she makes everything so amazing and if she was always this artsy! :)
While the houses hardened up it was a real treat to spend the afternoon talking with Gretchen while the kids were outside playing. There was an extra treat waiting as we got to go see their chickens and a fresh egg awaited us.
Love this time of year with sweet friends and fun times!

3 comments:

anthonyandbeth said...

looks like a GREAT time! we always love doing those gingerbread houses. jackson just wants to eat the candy.

rabbimeg said...

Now remember, you have a granddad in PA who LOVES gingerbread. So, if you don't save me any, I might need to huff and puff and blow...wait, that's the wrong story. Anyway, just remember my sweet tooth!

Carpool Queen said...

Slap on.

Slap off.

Slap on, slap off.

The Slapper.

(I slap as well :)