Saturday, January 09, 2010

Something to keep you warm.....

For the month of January I planned out a month's worth of new recipes to try out. Thankfully this week has been great and all the meals have gotten a 'do again star' beside them. One that we'll be doing weekly - at least as long as the cold stays around - is this 5 ingredient soup.

1 can corn
1 can fat free refried beans
1 can black beans
1 can chicken broth (Swanson has one that has no MSG in it)
1 can diced tomatoes.

Mix together, over the stove, and enjoy.

The refried beans liquify and make a yummy creamy texture. Brian took some to lunch, one day, and e-mailed home how much he loved it and filled him up for the whole afternoon. For those who look at the nutrition, it really packs a good fiber, protein and lycopene punch. Easy to have sitting around in your pantry too. I'm sure you could 'dress it up' with cooked shredded chicken, and top with tortilla chips and sour cream. Still....these 5 cans are a hit and just 5 minutes to dinner. Love it!

From my last post on Grant Horner's Bible reading system -- I love it!! Over the past 7 days I've read 70 chapters all over the Bible. Writing that down - it sure sounds like a lot AND time consuming, but this is simply reading the passages - not doing any deep research. The goal is to gain more intimacy with the scriptures as you will soon go back over, again and again, the same scriptures. Also the kids and I have quiet reading time every afternoon and I've decided this is a better use of my time than reading another book or magazine. So I've not been getting up earlier or staying up later just to get the reading in. And I now really understand why people struggle to do the "read through your Bible in a year" programs. This one gives such variety as you are all over the Bible every day. And if you miss a day or two it doesn't matter because it isn't dated as in "read this on January 16th" You simply move on to the next chapter. I can't say enough about this program (I know I've just started), but I do see what he means when he says you'll wonder how you ever lived on a meager diet of the Word. So true...

I'll try to keep posting 'kid pics' on this blog, but I'm working on a family blog and hope I can do both. We'll see.... :)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

anthonyandbeth said...

yay! a new recipe! can't wait to try it. i'm a big soup fan!