Friday, April 02, 2010

A 'Fool' for fun...

Yesterday was April 1st and, growing up, that ranked right up there after Christmas morning. My family LOVED this day.

Especially my Dad and I. I still remember the time my Dad called our neighbor yelling at him that all his cows were loose. We were all laughing hysterically as we watched our neighbor dash out of his house running towards the barn and then come to the realization that my Dad had 'gotten him'.

I remember parking my car in town and calling our church mechanic to come because the car wouldn't start. (before you feel sorry for the mechanic --- he's a church friend that took great pleasure in dumping buckets, of water, over my head each July 4th, tipping my canoe, ganging up -with others - to throw me in the lake, etc. Trust me....this was justified payback time. and he knew it soon after looking at my car and remembering what day it was.)

It was a day where my Dad and I went back and forth ALL day with each other. When I married and moved away....my Dad got even smarter and would call me VERY early on April 1st to get me. Getting me good in the middle of a sound sleep was the way I started many April 1sts.

When I was in highschool, we actually had our barn catch fire on April Fool's Day. Of course the fire department came out and thankfully contained it, but the problem was getting my Dad to come home. My brother called him to tell him of the fire and all he said was: "Janet put you up to this. Of course there isn't any fire." When he did finally come home, he had to call those who had stored items in our barn. They DIDN'T believe my Dad either. Of all days for this to happen in OUR family ---- the Lord has a sense of humor.

Yes.....I am a 'fool' for fun. I love these memories. BUT I waited to write this AFTER April 1st because I am still TERRIBLY gullible and wanted to make sure you all had an entire year to FORGET that I love April Fool's Day. I just know I would still be gotten over and over again. :)

1 comment:

anthonyandbeth said...

i love all your fun stories and i will never forget this. i have filed it away. :)