Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The last few days

The past few days have been filled with lots of fun for the kids (with their grandparents) and lots of learning for Brian and I. Brian and I had the priviledge of attending the North Carolina Homeschool Convention. We chose to go to every seminar we could and pretty much wore ourselves out with so much information. We especially enjoyed talking with the various authors of the curriculums. We made one major switch with our Math curriculum. As we know, in America and Canada, counting is considered the basis of arithmetic. Janpanese (also children in China and Singapore) children are actually discouraged from counting. I won't bore people with the research here since most of us already know that these other countries far surpass us educationally. Watching Brian's eyes as he was talking to a Math curriculum author, I knew we would be making a 'Math switch'. I may put this all on Brian, for the switch, but I am also excited for my kids to have a better understanding of mathmatical concepts.
The greatest thing we came home with was a huge conviction that the Lord needs to be the center of our child's education. That seems like an obvious thought all along our parenting journey, but I honestly started homeschooling for the educational benefits. Now I see that Christ really needs to be the center of everything from their English to their Math and every other facet of their lives.
This weekend we also had the priviledge of celebrating Lewis's 9th birthday with his family. We've so enjoyed getting to know Darin, Crystal and their two boys. Happy Birthday Lewis!
Memorial Day was the first day we felt it was warm enough to enjoy the neighborhood pool. This is a picture of GrandDad and Lindsey along with Brian and Austin. The kids enjoyed doing miniature golf, biking, walking, the park, tennis, a ton of card/board games, and swimming with the grandparents. The kids and the grandparents are currently recovering from the weekend.
Also on Memorial day, we went to a picnic at Lindsey's soccer coach's house. Yes, soccer is done but the parties haven't ended yet. Lindsey had the best coach ever and it was great getting to know all of these girls and their families. I think the Dads have forgiven us moms for being the "enthusiastic, yelling soccer moms" that we were at all the games.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Heather said...

What do you mean that you changed your math curriculum??? Didn't I tell you that you weren't allowed to do that?? What are you using? (I'm TOTALLY freaking out now:)

Sherri said...

Ok homeschool sage....we all want to know what you learned about what the Asian nations are doing differently with regard to my all time favorite school subject.

Aside re homeschool: if we can get this house sold and move near church, we'll have several schooling options. If it doesn't sell...homeschool is our only option. Hum...if I commit to homeschool will it then sell? :)

Janet said...

Heather -- You need to relax. I never said that our current curriculum isn't working. You know that Lindsey is cruising through multiplication (1-4) and started some division today. I don't remember doing that at 6 years old. Austin has always tested a couple of years ahead on Math concepts. So....you have a good curriculum. You can just relax and let us "live and learn" and see if you want to choose this path next year. Kay?

Janet said...

Sherri-

If you and Jeff find God leading you down this path, you can be assured that I will provide you with any info. you want from me. The Math info. and other subjects.

I'm not sure God works Real Estate the way you'd like, but I'm sure you'll spend much time in prayer and research and find the peace you need. It will be exciting to see how God leads your family. Enjoy the journey and we hope your house sells soon! Such an awesome house!

Allison said...

Wow!! What a week!!!Brian's "twitter reports" kept me updated on the sessions that you were in. Many of them sounded pretty interesting. Say, you didn't happen to sit in on any homeschooling for puppies sessions, did ya??? =)

Kristen said...

Hi Janet,
I will be officially homeschooling Sophie this fall. I can not wait to pick your brain for more info. I am researching phonics and early reading programs now. What did you use? Thanks!

Janet said...

Kristen,

Hey lady! Loved to talk with you anytime. For all three kids (with great success) we used Phonics Pathways. It is an "open and go" book. No preparation needed. Only cost $30 new. You could spend a few hundred dollars on a phonics program - but why? :)

Anonymous said...

... Alright fill me in... Are you switching to Singapore??? What will this mean to my new find of a math curriculum from Egypt that I've been using for Olivia.

Do they make it in an auto brew mode like coffee pots where I can program it at night and wake up to the aroma of happy children doing math?? With a brew strength feature of weak, strong or esspresso? We definately need tripple esspresso with 3 sugar cubes and a dolop of cream!!! LOL!
Time to move back to Ohio and rescue me.