Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Lighten up already!!

I was getting ready to take some Library books back and had some thoughts on "light summer reading". The thoughts truly centered on the fact that Brian and I need to learn what that means. Brian's recent reading was the book entitled FLYBOYS. It is a gruesome, real life, historical book on many happenings in WW II. It was a tough book to swallow as he read stories of torture and cannibalism, etc.

A book I most recently read is entitled: LOVE AND DEATH. It is a real life story of Forrest Church, a pastor who finds out he has terminal cancer and writes this book as he grapples with knowing he has only months/weeks to live. It was a moving book and helped me deal with one thing I greatly dislike about myself. The fact that I am quite an emotional person. In his book he wrote: "If we knew better, we would cry far more often than we do. Life is difficult. Some people pretend that it is not, that we should be able to breeze through. Yet hardly a week passes in which most of us don't have something worth crying about."

He also writes about the ancient Hebrews and how they were not afraid to cry. He says their tears were considered sacraments of love, which flowed from a deep spring. One other thing on tears: "Don't try arguing with tears. They come from someplace deep. They almost always matter."

And then, if you all don't think this is heavy enough, a book we are still reading together is SEVERE MERCY. I've already read this love story - with a true tragic ending - and yet I've decided to go into those depths again with Brian.

Hello! I think it is time to lighten up!! :)


2 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

Love that quote about tears coming from a deep place. I'm a stuffer - try not to let them out, but it's a good reminder that sometimes, you've gotta' let it go.

rabbimeg said...

I would never have guessed you were that emotional... :)
But, are you always this demanding about responses to your blogs? "Listen up already"